Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Hello October!

October is finally here! We started the month off by supporting the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. A few friends, Cedric, and I walked about three miles in support of raising awareness of suicide. It is an epidemic in Oregon and part of the mission of Lines for Life, where I work. Cedric did well and loved everyone he saw. He didn't even act tired after all that walking.

That night, we went out to celebrate a friend's birthday and my birthday. We went to Ground Kontrol: a sweet bar in downtown Portland with vintage video games. Plus, the entire second floor has pinball games. We collected all the quarters in our apartment and headed our for a night of fun. We played four person Pacman, raced in an arcade version of Mario Kart, and played crazy versions of pinball. The tables were all lit from within and a little trippy. One of my favorite parts was the bathroom; crazy, I know. The floor is tiled Pacman and it's lit only with black lights surrounding the sink. There are some pictures below that I've borrowed from the internet. None of the pictures I took turned out share-worthy.




We had a small celebration at home on my actual birthday. I opened presents from family and Brandt. He got me a new bag that I absolutely love. The white Yoshi bag he gave me when we started dating is looking pretty sad from five years of use. Now I have a nice dark bag that can withstand the travels to and from work.

After starting off the month that way, we've been taking it easy. I've spent most of my spare time making my Halloween costume. If you know me, or have been reading this blog since at least last October, you know I love Halloween. There will be a very picture heavy post after Halloween!

The only other interesting thing to happen so far this month happened while I was working at Target. I had an 8 a.m. shift and was only semi-conscious most of the day. I was working in Seasonal with all of my favorite Halloween things. As I was putting away abandoned items, I saw a Toothless dragon doll on the floor. I didn't pick it up and figured I'd get it on my next round of pickups. I had completely forgotten about it when I was at the service desk sorting items until a lady and her two boys approached. The six year old had lost his Toothless doll. I told them where I saw it and they were going to look for it. I was still re-tagging items when they returned without the toy. I felt terrible for not picking up the you and went back to help them look. The poor thing was nowhere to be seen. I got her name and number to put in the lost and found book.

Just a few minutes before my shift ended, I was walking past a shelf and saw the small black dragon. It was nowhere near where I'd seen it but I was excited I found it! I called the mom and she was thrilled the toy had been located. I left a little note on the toy, as a little way to make up for not rescuing the dragon in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment