Thursday, May 7, 2015

I'm Employed!


I am finally employed full-time! I started my job at Lines for Life today as a Development Associate. I will help raise funds, plan events, maintain the donor database, and more. It is very similar to my previous work at Exploration Place.


So what exactly is this place that I'm working for? Lines for Life (formerly the Oregon Partnership) is a non-profit dedicated to preventing substance abuse and suicide. They have crisis lines for people to call in and they act as an advocate in the community/state. The advocacy includes lobbying and visiting schools. Their crisis lines receive approximately 35,000 calls per year. There are lines for substance abuse, suicide, military, and youth. Most of the people answering calls are highly trained volunteers and there are treatment  professionals helping as well. They are able to deescalate 98% of the 13,000 suicide calls they receive each year. Quite a great number!

One aspect I like is that people calling the youth and military lines can speak with peers. I know it can be reassuring and much easier to talk to someone who knows where you're coming from. Both of these lines aren't exclusively about substance abuse and suicide either. They are available for any issue these people may be having. The youth line also includes texting! You know how those kids are always texting... including me. Another aspect I like is that family and friends of people suffering from these issues are welcome to call and receive support.

I started my career in museums because I love learning. I wanted to help educate others and share my passion. I'm taking a new path with this position and helping the community. I've always wanted to make a difference with my life and in my career. I loved advocating science education (especially in young girls!!) and knowledge in general. Museums don't necessarily have a huge impact on individuals' lives,however, but Lines for Life does. I'll miss hearing crazy science facts or teaching kids about dinosaurs but I'm looking forward to this new direction and where it can take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment