Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Uprooting Isn't Easy

I used to garden with my parents when I was younger. When pulling weeds, I was taught it was important to pull it from the base of the stem to ensure the roots came out too. If you don't pull out enough of the plant, the roots can grow a new weed. Among my favorite plants are trees. I'm fascinated by their roots. They slowly force through sidewalks. They burrow deep for nourishment. Roots act as anchors during windstorms, keeping trees firmly in place. I love that some large trees have roots that seem to roll like waves in and out of the ground as the stretch out in search of water.

Picking up and leaving friends and family isn't easy. There's a reason they call it uprooting. I hadn't lived anywhere but Kansas and my entire root system was there. Everyone I loved lives there (or had at one point). When I moved I severed my physical ties to those people. Technology keeps us in touch but there are times I feel extremely homesick.

Last March, we made the decision to follow our dreams and move across the country. The last month has been full of reminders that I can't just drive a few hours to see my friends and family. Two of my nephews had birthdays. Two of my friends got engaged. One of my closest friends is pregnant with her first child and just posted her first belly picture. The annual fundraiser, of which I was an integral part, took place this weekend. I'm happy that life moves forward but I'm torn apart that I can't be there.

It's not just the life changing moments or the milestones, I miss being a part of the little things too. As the weather warmed up here, I had a sudden flash of going to Silver Creek on a lazy afternoon: Sitting in folding chairs with my toes in the creek, enjoying the sun with my friends. I also won't get to sit under the awning in my parents' backyard as the sun sets. No weekend trips to my friends' farm to shoot guns and eat Donut Whole deliciousness.

I'm happy living in Oregon and I know it was the right choice for me. The anniversary of our decision seems to have brought on more nostalgia for home. Even though we're having fun on our new adventures and we're slowly regrowing our lives here, we still have our loved ones on our minds. Brandt and I may have uprooted but we left the majority of our root system intact. Unlike the weeds in my parents' garden, we still have our support system of loved ones. Our anchors.

Image from "The Fountain" one of my top three favorite movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment