Monday, September 8, 2014

I'm Officially a Bookseller

On September 1st, I started a part-time job at Barnes & Noble. My official title is bookseller and I'm half way through two weeks of training. My customer service and register skills came back quickly and I'm feeling very comfortable in my new position. This week, I'll be learning a few more things including the Nook department. I am still looking for a job in marketing/writing/editing because that's where my strengths are. If this job doesn't turn into something full-time, I'll need a second job and it took me three months to find this one.

I haven't worked retail since my days at Wal-Mart in high school and some clothing stores in college. The last six years of office jobs left me unprepared for eight hours of standing! My legs and back have been sore but less so after each shift. I love seeing the rows of books and I can smell them when I walk in the building. It's wonderful to see people as in love with literature as I am! One of my favorite parts so far is seeing children that are ecstatic to take home books. I was like them as a kid, always looking for the next book to read and even sneaking a flashlight under my covers so I could read at night.

My goal is to work up to a full-time position and into a leadership role. All of the managers have worked for Barnes & Noble for 10 - 15 years, so I don't think I'll make it that far. I'm not sure if I want to stay there forever but the nerdy, story-loving side of me can't get enough. Even though money is tight right now, I splurged on the combined book of the Iliad and the Odyssey for less than $6! They were the stories that piqued my interest in mythology in high school and started me on the journey to an English degree. My dream job is editing, maybe at a publishing company. I figure it can't hurt to work at a bookstore and gain an understanding of the sales side of books.

A special note to my immediate family: I'm not teaching people to read but I'm glad to be contributing to literacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment